Virtualisation & Consolidation
Yesterday’s computer hardware was designed to run a single operating system and a single application, leaving most machines vastly under utilised. Virtualisation lets you run multiple virtual machines on a single physical machine, with each virtual machine sharing the resources of that one physical computer across multiple environments. Different virtual machines can run different operating systems and multiple applications on the same physical computer.
There are many benefits to consolidating the number of servers in your environment by taking advantage of virtualisation software. VMWare vSphere, Microsoft Hyper-V and Citrix ZenServer are the most commonly used. These benefits include:
- Lower number of physical servers – you can reduce hardware maintenance costs because of a lower number of physical servers. It is also a greener way to go as less power is consumed powering your servers.
- By implementing a server consolidation strategy, you can increase the space utilisation efficiency in your data center.
- By having each application within its own “virtual server” you can prevent one application from impacting another application when upgrades or changes are made.
- You can develop a standard virtual server build that can be easily duplicated which will speed up server deployment.
- You can deploy multiple operating system technologies on a single hardware platform (Windows Server 2012/R2, Linux, Windows 2008/R2, Windows 7 or 8.1, etc).
By taking advantage of server virtualisation you can easily improve the efficiency of your Data Center, as well as lower your cost of ownership. We can design a solution that will meet your business needs.